Sopa de Lima
2 celery stalks, diced small
2 carrots, shredded
1 or 2 jalapenos, diced small.
4 cloves garlic, pressed
¼ t dried oregano
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 bay leaf
4 c chicken stock (TJ's concentrated broth packets are onion-free)
1.5 lbs chicken breast, b-less sk-less
Juice from 3 limes
Salt to taste
4 corn tortillas
- In a large saucepan, heat 1-2 T olive oil. Cook the celery, carrot, and jalapeno pepper over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, and oregano and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and season lightly with salt. Cook, stirring, until the tomato is softened and has released its liquid and the mixture is nearly dry, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and chicken breasts and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the soup and set aside until cool enough to handle. Allow soup to continue simmering.
- When the chicken has cooled a bit, shred into bite size pieces and return to the pot along with the lime juice. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through and the soup is piping hot.
- Meanwhile, cut the tortillas into 1/4-inch strips. Heat oil in a medium skillet and, when very hot, fry the tortilla strips, until lightly golden and crisp, less than 1 minute. Drain on paper towel. Salt to taste.
- Serve soup garnished with the fried tortilla strips and the avocado and cilantro.