From blend of recipes
1 whole chicken, ~4 lbs
tarragon, 2 T minced fresh or 2 tsp. dried
thyme, 1 T minced fresh or 1 t dried
rosemary, 1 T minced fresh or 1 tsp. dried
2 cloves garlic, minced. 1 tsp dijon mustard
2 T olive oil
2 T melted butter
1 T kosher salt
2 tsp. cracked pepper
1 lemon, halved
2 bay leaves (fresh if possible)
3 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
3 ribs celery, peeled and cut into thirds
3 oniions, peeled and cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Mix tarragon, thyme, rosemary, mustard, garlic, oil and butter.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from checken. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks.
- Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Rub herb/oil mix between skin and meat, coating well.
- Squeeze lemon over chicken inside and out.
- Place lemon rinds and bay leaves inside cavity.
- Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken breast side down on rack set inside a pan.
- Arrange vegetables on bottom of pan below rack.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes, then turn chicken over and bake another 30 minutes. Total baking time depends on size of chicken, check for doneness with a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a leg. It should be 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.