From the Chicago Tribune
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons hot water
2 1/2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
2 eg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- Place coconut in a large bowl; stir in sugar mixture. Stir in egg whites and vanilla.
- Form into small rounds using a tablespoon, place on greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly.
- Bake until lightly browned 12-15 minutes per batch. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.